Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

"The Making of Blake's 7" DVD documentaries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson wrote:
They should be able to edit and stop-start these commentaries, or go back and do bits again. it is clear from thing like the Lord of the Rings commentary, for example, that this can be done. Surely it is not too hard for others to do it too.
But we are talking BBC budgets here, so it must be too expensive, right?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too expensive to do a bit of editing and rerecording voice! Nah, it is just plain laziness.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
THE_LIBERATOR
Goatboy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson wrote:
Too expensive to do a bit of editing and rerecording voice! Nah, it is just plain laziness.
Never underestimate the tightness of the Beeb
Mr-Stabby

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson wrote:

Comeon this is the BBC! Editing!! EDITING!! Are you insane?!
Myk Gantt

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining your perspective of things Kevin. It would be a shame if the "Making-Of" documentaries went to waste. It seems odd that the planned Terry Nation documentary was forced to be dropped, especially since B7E keep going on about there not being a fitting tribute to him. Maybe once things are cleared up "The Making of Blake's 7" could be released on it's own.
Myk Gantt

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Rogerson wrote:

With 6 commentaries recorded it one day I'm guessing it comes down to time.
Kevin Davies

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Commentaries vs. on-screen production notes Reply with quote

That's right - time.
And we all know the old equation:
Time = Money

I'm all for commentaries on DVDs of RECENT movies, with cast and crew re-living their RECENT memories.

But personally, I find most ARCHIVE film & TV commentaries very dull, as most contributors have forgotten nearly all the detail. In the case of most actors, they remember zilch, and end up spouting half-remembered stuff they've heard from fans, read in fanzines, or picked up at conventions. They can be quite entertaining though, but sometimes unintentionally.

For hard facts, you might as well get in a bunch of expert fans who really know their stuff, and let them tell the anecdotes and other stories. At least they've done their homework. However, I'm afraid other fans would probably hate that; the green-eyed monster is a terrible thing...

So, we're left with rambling actors, long pauses, and factual errors.

I am very disappointed that the BBC decided to drop the detailed on-screen production notes from the B7 DVDs. My pal and regular programme consultant Andrew Pixley nominated B7 fan Rob Emery for the job. Sadly it was ultimately dropped in favour of those brief episode synopses, which are much much cheaper.

When I was told they were going to do 6 B7 episodes in a day, with no moderator and no editing (which WAS to save costs!) I quickly distanced myself from those recording sessions. I said I was too busy editing the other extras to handle them - which turned out to be true!

I'd rather have some factual and accurate production captions than half-baked commentaries, anyday.

What do you guys think?
Myk Gantt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the commentaries being so poorly reviewed for Series 1 perhaps they'll get a moderator for 3 & 4. If the BBC decides to do any for those series! The only archive TV commentaries that I've enjoyed have been the DW discs that have a moderator - The Dalek Invasion of Earth, or those with a rotating line-up - The Talons of Weng-Chiang.

I also feel that production personnel is essential to a comms success. That was the main fault with the B7 set. Where was Chris Boucher? Where was Pennant Roberts who was very involved in setting up the series?
Steve Rogerson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been nice to have Chris Boucher on a commentary. What would be good though is if they made the actors do their homework and watch the episode a couple of times first. Also, if you record two separate commentaries (with two or three people in each) for each episode, you can then edit them together to fill in the gaps, not that much work surely.
http://homepages.poptel.org.uk/steve.rogerson

Hail Og: Ruler of the Universe (Feb 2005-2007)

Redemption 15, 20-22 February 2015
http://www.smof.com/redemption
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ORAC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would love to hear some insights from Chris, that would be very interesting.
outsider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin, good to see you here.

Niel B
Mr-Stabby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i'm guessing they've recorded the commentaries from Series 2 with the same people if they did 6 in a day. So this prob means that they are going to be just as bad if not WORSE than the 1st series ones. If they recorded them all in one day surely David Maloney could of done the commentaries in the other episodes instead of the awful Jacqueline Pearce, who couldn't even remember what series it was, let alone any details. She barely said anything apart from the odd hysterical annoying laugh and the odd "DARRRRLING" ARRGGH!!!

Ok so David Maloney prob wouldn't of worked on all of the episodes recorded, but i'm sure he would be more interesting to listen to than Jacqueline Pearce!

Oh no hold on a minute, they couldn't of recorded the 2nd series commentaries with Stephen Greif, so who did they get to replace him?
ORAC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone yet to own the DVDs I have to say I am getting more and more put off by hearing things like this.

When you love a show so much and want to see a documentry, hear a commantary etc it's such a delight and a real selling point.

Now, with bad commantaries, little extras and the terribly handled re-issue I really am not sure whether I am going to buy these - and as a longterm fan that's a terrible thing to say and hear.

After such a success with the WHO DVDs I feel that Blake's 7 has been sold short....as have the fans.
Mr-Stabby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well fair play to the SPACEFALL commentary, i think they got the perfect combination there. David Maloney was fantastic with what he said. Michael Keating i have to say has been underrated on these DVD commentaries, especially by me. After re-watching them yesterday its quite clear that Michael Keating has a clear memory of the episodes, and what happened in them. He even knew what episode NUMBER it was, which is quite good by any standards. Sally Knyvette didn't know quite as much as Michael but she provided good entertainment value, so the commentary was really good. But the other 2 were naff in comparison.
ORAC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's nice to hear something positive Mr Stabby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Blakes7 Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: