Home / B7 Chatroom / Caption Competition / Episode Guide / Conventions / Productions / Gadgets / Links / Email  
Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index Blakes7 Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  SmartFeedSmartFeed   StatisticsStatistics   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Currently Chatting:

Best Radio Who

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Radio Who
Expedition - Earth
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Slipback
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
The Paradise of Death
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
The Ghosts of N-Space
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Best Radio Who Reply with quote

Which was the best Doctor Who radio adventure?
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

er , none - they were all pretty lousy!
RichardWho

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about 'The Pescatons'? Was that ever broadcast on radio? It was released as an LP record. It starred Tom Baker and Lis Sladen and would get my vote.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardWho wrote:
What about 'The Pescatons'? Was that ever broadcast on radio? It was released as an LP record. It starred Tom Baker and Lis Sladen and would get my vote.

It was never broadcast on radio, so I didn't include it in this poll. It's good fun though, loveTom's narration.
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE PARADISE OF DEATH - just! (it was great to hear Pertwee and co back agian after so many years! )
RichardWho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that one gets my vote too.
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradise of death as its one which I obsessed over for ages a long time ago, recently I realised how slow it is however.
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't catch the Pertwee plays at the time of broadcast, but bought them on tape later. Bought Ghosts first, so always tended to favour that one.

On the other hand Paradise does have the wonderfully fruity voiced Harold Innocent
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did Innocent play?

I tried that ghosts was a little dull.

Have any of you tried the narrated versions of the target books?
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picard wrote:
Who did Innocent play?

Harold Inncent played the evil chairman of the alien company.

I have a couple of the target tapes, though they are a bit worn down now. I used to have a cassette of Tom Reading 'State of Decay' when I was a kid, but it wore out completley
Picard
The Chocolate Eater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cockroach Boy wrote:
Picard wrote:
Who did Innocent play?

Harold Inncent played the evil chairman of the alien company.

I have a couple of the target tapes, though they are a bit worn down now. I used to have a cassette of Tom Reading 'State of Decay' when I was a kid, but it wore out completley

Ahh yes he was quite good in the role, but not overly special I didn't think.

I have that tape which I brought in a charity shop in cornwall a few years ago, it is rather boring really IMO, it just didn't appeal to me, but really I think the adaptations are a little rubbish really!
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listened to the Radio 4 Pertwee plays again this week. They are quite strange. Neither feels entirely like a 3rd Doctor story but they still seem old fashioned, especially compared to things like the New Adventures that were around at the time.

The first carries on some of the themes from Letts producership. The anti-capitalism of Paradise of Death is reminiscent of Colony In Space and The Green Death. The scenes with Onya talking about her spiritual 're-birth' seem quite indebted to the Doctor talking about the Hermit in The Time Monster. The attempts to satirise violence in the media is new to the Third Doctor - and sadly its hideously inept, especially compared to Vengeance on Varos. It's interesting that Letts apparently disapproved of the violence of the Hinchclife era.

Ghosts of N-Space goes in for the same gothic trappings of The Daemons but seems to come down on the side of magic. There's nothing inherently wrong with this - the supposed science of Doctor Who works like magic anyway and might as well be the same thing half the time - but it feels strange in a 3rd Doctor story in a waythat it wouldn't in one for the 4th or 7th. The philosopy of this one seems more akin to Christianity than the Buddhist ideology of Pertwee's on-screen finale. It's difficult to see how it woul operate in the Who universe - do Daleks and Ogrons 'cross over' too?

The best thing about Ghosts is Pertwee himself, giving a very warm final peformance. In Paradise he was written almost as a paraody of the character from the 70's, but in Ghosts perhaps because of the theme of death, we see a melancholic, thoughtful side that was hinted at in season 11 but not really develloped. A good example is when Sarah protests that Luisa is going to die and the Doctor responds 'Well of course she is. Aren't you?'. There is greater fragility to the character which gives him a new dimension.

The one thing that is really awful about both these plays is Jeremy. It's almost as though Letts saw Brendan in K9 and Company and thought 'Oh right. A posh sidekick for Sarah. That'll do'. But Brendan was a bright kid who's problem was the he lacked practical experience and by the end he's far less arrogant. Jeremy is dumb and posh, without any self awareness whatsoever. He never reacts to anything in a way that isn't a 'golly gosh' carricature and learns nothing from his experiences.

Neither play is a triumph, but Paradise gives us a bit more devellopment on the themes of the third Doctor's era and Ghosts benefits from one of Pertwee's most interesting peformances.

Last edited by Cockroach Boy on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:15 pm; edited 4 times in total
BLAKESCREWE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find `Ghosts` to be all wrong - The Doctor isnt quite right , the Brig`s Family history is all wrong , and the Jeremy character is not right whatsoever! Only Sarah Jane comes out of it with credibility!
Cockroach Boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLAKESCREWE wrote:
I find `Ghosts` to be all wrong - The Doctor isnt quite right , the Brig`s Family history is all wrong , and the Jeremy character is not right whatsoever! Only Sarah Jane comes out of it with credibility!

Mmm...Lis Sladen is good, but I don't think Letts wrote Sarah as being all that smart. Some of her lines sound like they belong to Jo Grant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Blakes7 Discussion Forum Index -> Doctor Who All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: