The TV MOVIE: 10years on!

There were so many topics about Doctor Who, he had to be given his own Forum!

How do you rate it?

POOR
36%
AVERAGE
9%
GOOD
27%
VERY GOOD
9%
EXCELLENT!
9%
OTHER
9%

Total votes: 11
pna

Post by pna »

Never seen this until yesterday when I watched it with my kids. Voted poor, mainly because of the script/ story. Paul McGann good tho.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Yet to see it.
Last Watched: The Beginning (compilation), March 2021
Cats

Post by Cats »

THE_LIBERATOR wrote:McGann good, everything else bad
I totally agree :-o
BLAKESCREWE

Post by BLAKESCREWE »

Too Americanised - the half human stuff was a load of cobblers thankfully discarded by the newer teams!
RichardWho

Post by RichardWho »

I enjoyed it. I've collected all the comic strip adventures which they did in the Radio Times that year. The Big Finish audio series they did with Paul McGann have now been broadcast on Radio 7.

I think it is a pity that the TV Movie did not spawn a TV series but at least it kept the ball rolling,
the masters of cheese

Post by the masters of cheese »

i find it quite hard to watch :-o but its got paul mcgann in it 8) 8) 8) 8)
was poorly written but well acted..especially paul mcgann!
the master turned into the terminator from T2 imo!
but paul mcgann was good :D :D :D :D :oops:
BlakNo1

Post by BlakNo1 »

After seeing how absolutely clueless Fox Network was when it came to Firefly/Serenity, I'm glad a new series didn't haapen with them.
"Blak" sheep of the B7 forum family!
Cockroach Boy

Post by Cockroach Boy »

My opinion for what it's worth...

The TV Movie works best during it's more intimate moments - the shoes scene, Sylvester in the TARDIS, Grace's banter with the Doctor, their regretful farewell etc. And the kiss is actually more restrained than many give it credit for, gentle and tentative rather than horny. You can kiss someone affectiontely without wanting to have sex with them (it's depressing really that some people seem unable to accept that idea, but that's another matter entirely)

But it's when the Movie wants to go global with the Earth being pulled inside out that it goes wrong, because it jars and it doesn't follow on naturally from the first half of the movie. All of a sudden we're getting s knock off The Deadly Assassin rather than the refreshingly different approach of the first 45 minutes. Even the Master's villany is creepier when its played 'intimate' casually killing Bruce's wife and Chang Lee is more unsettling than his more grandiose brhaviour.

IMO, if the Movie had kept its focus on two aliens fighting for life rather than a threat to the whole world, then I think it would have been better. An Unearthly Child and Castrovalva both prsent small scale narratives to kick off their Doctors eras and both work well.
Everything in life is only for now.
Cats

Post by Cats »

I just did a test to see what Serenity character I would be and I am
Zoe Washburne :D
Ron

Post by Ron »

Twenty Years on now! I don't really like it. We were discussing who the writer was; Matthew Jacobs. One interesting thing is that his father played Doc Holliday in Doctor Who story 'The Gunfighters' and Matthew remembers visiting the set.
Last Watched: The Beginning (compilation), March 2021
Cockroach Boy

Post by Cockroach Boy »

Can't believe it's been 20 years! I love Paul McGann as the Doctor and the visuals are great even if the script is rather all over the place.
Everything in life is only for now.